A guide on how to easily create API keys that can be used for all integrations.
An API (Application Programming Interface) is an interface that allows integration with a third party system e.g. Power BI. You can use the API to build custom integrations or automate even more of your workflow.
To use the API you must create an API key. An API key is a personal code and acts as an authentication token or a unique identifier. To find out more about how and for what you can use the API key go to Impero API Documentation
Note: To create an API key you must either have the Administrator or API User role. You want to know more about roles in Impero? Go to Manage Users, Roles and User Groups
NB! The API key has access to the same data as the creator of the key. I.e. if the creator has Administrator access, so does the key.
- Log into Impero i.e. https://your_organization.impero.com
- Click "My Profile"
- In the bottom of the page, you will find your API keys
- Click "Create API key"
- Provide a name for the key that describe its purpose. The name is for identification purposes only.
- Provide an expiry date for the key or leave it at never expires
- Select the scope for the API key. The scope determine what operations you can perform on the data. You can select:
- "View control activities" which allows viewing of the control activities
- "Datasheet" which allows accessing and modifying datasheet content. NB here you can choose either Update datasheet content which allows updating of datasheet content or View datasheet structure which only allows viewing of datasheet structure
- Click "OK"
- A new API key will now be visible on the screen. Copy and save the API key as you will not be able to access the key again after closing the dialog box. The API key will be used in the Starter template.
Tip: We recommend a key for each integration and for different purposes. Each user can create multiple API keys.